Student Book Reviewer: Mithurna.T – Grade 8
by Beth Goobie
Orca Book Publishers, 2003
Series: Orca Soundings
Genre: Realistic fiction
Summary: This book is about a girl named Kelly. When Kelly was a little girl she was sexually abused by her father, after her father passed away Kelly didn’t want to be with her mother. Kelly was sent to Mary-Mound school just for girls. she didn’t want to be there so she found a way to get the key that lead her to the exit.
- Did this book hold your attention? Yes.
- Was the story what you expected? Were you disappointed? Surprised? I wasn’t surprised how the book ended up being, I knew what would happened next. There wasn’t any disappointments.
- Do you think that the book was suitable for your age? Too violent, swearing, sex, etc.: I think it depends on the reader. This book doesn’t have a lot of swearing or violent, but if someone who is “immature” read this book I think they would have stupid comments on this book.
- Did you like/dislike the book? Why? I kind of liked this book, but I think the author could have done much more better.
- Who would you recommend this book to, even if you disliked it? Give an example. I would recommend this book to people who are in grade 8 or 9, I find that this book is for people at this age because they can understand more and know how it could feel.
- Is this a stand-alone book, or is it part of a series? This is stand-alone book, it doesn’t have a series.
- Does the cover art match the style of the book inside? The cover art on the book matched the style of the book inside because when I first saw it I thought that a girl was trapped in a place were she couldn’t escape so she found a key that lead to her freedom.