Student Book Reviewer: Maggie Kozaitis – Grade 8
by Norah McClintock
Orca Book Publishers, 2007
Series: Orca Soundings
Summary: The book Bang, written by Norah McClintock, is about two boys named Quentin and JD who have been friends forever. One day, they decided to go get high at the park. At the park, they got into some trouble with an older guy. The next day when they were hanging out, Quentin learned that JD has a gun. When they are caught robbing a car, the car owner came out and grabbed Quentin. To escape, JD used the gun and shot him. Even after JD gets in trouble Quentin stands by him. At school the next day the cops go and try to find witnesses and some clues to find out who killed the guy. Trying to cover up the crime, they try to act as if nothing happened but then someone turned in Quentin even though he didn’t have the gun. In the end, he learns he can only trust himself.
- Did this book hold your attention? Yes
- Was the story what you expected? Were you disappointed? Surprised? It wasn’t exactly what I expected but since the cover of the book has a gun, I was expecting it to be about a murder.
- Do you think that the book was suitable for your age? Too violent, swearing, sex, etc.: I believe the book is suitable because it’s not too violent. At our age, we’re old enough to understand therefore it would be a good choice for our age.
- Did you like/dislike the book? Why? I really enjoyed and liked the book because it was a good story that had its intense moments where you didn’t want to stop reading and you wanted to continue reading to find out what was going to happen next.
- Who would you recommend this book to, even if you disliked it? Give an example. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a mystery.
- Is this a stand-alone book, or is it part of a series? It is part of the Orca Soundings series which are all very interesting books.
- Does the cover art match the style of the book inside? The cover art does match the style of the book inside since the cover is a picture of a police officer holding an evidence bag with a gun inside and the story is about a murder therefore is suits it.