Student Book Reviewer: Anthony C. – Grade 8
by Norah McClintock
Orca Book Publishers, 2007
Series: Orca Soundings
Genre: Realistic fiction
Summary: A boy named Remy was convicted of assault on another teenage boy. He then had to serve time for 9 months in probably a Juvenile prison. When he is let free, his girlfriend Asia has moved on to another guy. However, he finds out that this other guy, by the name of Marcus and he and his friend’s basketball court has been destroyed and want to play in Remy’s friends court. But they refuse.
- Did this book hold your attention? Yes
- Was the story what you expected? Were you disappointed? Surprised? Yes, the story turned out to be a good one. It was what I had expected. No, I wasn’t disappointed or surprised with the ending of the book. It was something, I wanted to happen. Very satisfied.
- Do you think that the book was suitable for your age? Too violent, swearing, sex, etc.: For me, “Yes” I think it was suitable for my age. It wasn’t too violent and no swearing. It was interesting and informative at the same time. I also think it should be read to kids (teens) over the age of 13.
- Did you like/dislike the book? Why? I liked this book a lot. I say this because it has to do with the real life of young adults how hang out with gangs.
- Who would you recommend this book to, even if you disliked it? Give an example. Absolutely, I would recommend this book to other people. I wouldn’t know how to because it’s a shorter novel than others I have read. Most probably, I think it isn’t popular as other books such as Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, Percy Jackson, Lord of the Rings.
- Is this a stand-alone book, or is it part of a series? This book is a stand-alone book.
- Does the cover art match the style of the book inside? In my opinion, not really because it shows 2 shadows of 2 people. One is holding a knife. However its kind of hard to tell which characters are being represented.