Student Book Reviewer: Josie T. – Grade 8
by Beth Goobie
Orca Book Publishers, 2005
Series: Orca Soundings
Genre: Realistic fiction
Summary: Sophie(Froggy), a nickname by her abusive father who is in control of her also her mother around the house. She is known as the ‘Stupid,no good,nothing girl’ towards her father. As she gets physically insulted her friends all around force her to report her situation. One night, she got hurt really badly ending up in the hospital as it all ended there. Ms. Lee her probation officer was always curious about what happened in the house but Sophie wouldn’t say a word because she knows that she would be in trouble and sent away. But this time everything came out clean as she spoke up.
- Did this book hold your attention? Yes
- Was the story what you expected it to be? Were you disappointed? Surprised? This story had interested myself but very unexpected. It came clear to me upon what happened in the end although I had expected something totally different towards this novel.
- Do you think that the book was suitable for your age? Too violent, swearing, sex, etc.: I’ve found that this novel was appropriate for my age as teenagers because in every house there is something and this situation had signified that in every situation had to be spoken to others meaning never keep it to yourself no matter what happens because there are great supporters.
- Did you like/dislike the book? Why? I liked this novel because it had interested me. The cover of the novel looked like it was a depressing and boring book but as I read the first page I got impressed of how it was structured into a story.
- Who would you recommend this book to, even if you disliked it? Give an example: I’d recommend this book to anyone that is very quiet that would only have a low profile anywhere and also towards the people who feel depressed at all times.
- Was the book part of a series? Is it a book that you have to read the previous/following book to understand the plot? Or is the story self-contained? This story is self-contained.
- Does the cover art match the style of the book inside? The cover of the book does match of a girl suffering which is the whole plot upon Sophie.