Student Reviewer: Jennifer N. – Grade 8
by Monique Polak
Orca Book Publishers, 2004
Genre: Realistic fiction
Summary: We meet a boy name Pete, who likes to play pranks on people. It all started when Pete got himself in trouble everyday at school for playing pranks on his classmates. Pete got suspended at school for making fun of his Vice-Principal, while speaking on the intercom. His parents can’t take it no more with his behavior. Pete’s parents both decided to send him to spend the summer working with his uncle far away near the Oceans to watch whales, and to be a tour guide for tourists who visits the place. A tour guide tries to get rid of a whale. Pete tries to save the whale by pulling the biggest prank of his life.
- Did this book hold your attention? Yes
- Was the story what you expected it to be? Were you disappointed? Surprised? I thought by looking at the cover page and reading the title ”No More Pranks” it had to be about a boy pulling pranks near the ocean. The thing that I didn’t like was the pranks Pete had in mine. It was very unappropriated,and needed an older audience. Anything other than that the book was good.
- Do you think that the book was suitable for your age? Too violent, swearing, sex, etc.: I think the book is suitable for my age , but there are parts in the book that are inappropriate, but everyone has their own opinions.
- Did you like/dislike the book? Why? The part that I like about the book was when Pete saved the whale at the end, by pulling a prank that tricks the other tour guide. I dislike when the other tour guide hated whales and wanted to kill them all, but that didn’t happen because Pete saved them, and got ride of that tour guide.
- Who would you recommend this book to, even if you disliked it? Give an example: I would recommend this book to all mature teenagers.
- Was the book part of a series? Is it a book that you have to read the previous/following book to understand the plot? Or is the story self-contained? There is a series of this book. I had mention in the begging its call ”Orca Sounding”. No, You don’t have to read the previous\ following books to understand the plot, everything you need to know happens in this book (”No More Pranks”) .
- Does the cover art match the style of the book inside? Yes, It does because it represents Pete playing pranks on the boar and something along happens.