Student Reviewer: Megan L. – Grade 8
by K.L. Denman
Orca Book Publishers, 2011
Series: Orca Currents
Genre: Realistic fiction
Summary: The novel “stuff we all get” by K.L. Denman is about a 15-year-old Zach who finds a CD with the word “Famous” written on it. Bored at home because he was suspended he decided to listen to it. Zach has sound coloured-synesthesia and when he listened to the songs on it the room filled with colours he hadn’t quite seen before. Zach decides that he has to find the voice to the songs and meet her.
- Did this book hold your attention? : Yes
- Was the story what you expected it to be? Were you disappointed? Surprised? The novel was all in all okay. I was a bit surprised at the end when the girl he was avoiding most of the school both likes to play instruments and decided to play together.
- Do you think that the book was suitable for your age? Too violent, swearing, sex, etc.: I think the book was suitable for my age because it wasn’t too violent and there was no swearing or anything too bad.
- Did you like/dislike the book? Why? I liked the book because it shows that people aren’t what you might think they are or who you might think they are.
- Who would you recommend this book to, even if you disliked it? Give an example.: I recommend this novel to anyone who might like a little mystery and adventure and for teenagers.
- Was the book part of a series? Is it a book that you have to read the previous/following book to understand the plot? Or is the story self-contained?This novel isn’t part of a series that you have read the previous/following to understand what the book is about. The novel is self-contained.
- Does the cover art match the style of the book inside? The cover of the novel does match the style of the book inside because the book is mainly about finding the voice of the CD “Famous”.