Student Reviewer: Langston Hughes The V – Grade 10
by Lesley Choyce
Orca Publishers, 2010
Series: Orca Soundings
Genre: Realistic fiction
Summary: The book contained a couple of characters. However the most important are Zach and Ashley. They have intercourse and Ashley gets pregnant; we go through their journey with them in the novel.
- Did this book hold your attention? No
- Was the story what you expected? Were you disappointed? Surprised? Yes the novel was exactly how I pictured it, I wasn’t disappointed considering I knew the book would be horrible. I also was not surprised by anything in the book.
- Do you think that the book was suitable for your age? Too violent, swearing, sex, etc. I believe the book needed more of each of these; the book was made for two-year olds.
- Did you like/dislike the book? Why? I hated the book, it wasn’t original. How many times can we read the same stories, they may not all be the same; but we can clearly see that this author has some improving to do.
- Who would you recommend this book to, even if you disliked it? Give an example: I wouldn’t recommend it. However if there is a grade two teacher that would like to teach her students a lesson by boring them this is the right book.
- Was the book part of a series? Is it a book that you have to read the previous/following book to understand the plot? Or is the story self-contained? It is self-contained and horrible .
- Does the cover art match the style of the book inside? Yes
it was quite accurate.