Student Reviewer: Nilani M. – Grade 8
by Monique Polak
Orca Publishers, 2005
Series: Orca Soundings
Genre: Mystery fiction
Summary: The book “Home Invasion” written by Monique Polak, involves a mysterious situation. It’s a story where there’s a home invader going through a neighbourhood in Montreal. Josh is like a teenager kid whose favorite sport is basketball. He wants to know how other families are at home, since he has to bond with his stepfather while his mom is out-of-town. In fact, Josh is kind of like a home invader himself.
Josh doesn’t like his stepfather Clay. He always wonders how other families are together. So Josh spies on others inside their houses. Except, he’s not the real home invader who steals while people are home. Josh also likes his new neighbor Patsy. He always spies on her family since they often leave their window open. In conclusion, especially one day while spying in Patsy’s house, Josh is going to catch the real home invader.
- Did this book hold your attention? Yes
- Was the story what you expected? Were you disappointed? Surprised? The story wasn’t what I’d expected to be.
Meanwhile reading the beginning, I thought I knew what was going to happen. Except, in the middle it changed. In conclusion, the ending really surprised me.
- Do you think that the book was suitable for your age? Too violent, swearing, sex, etc. I think the book was suitable for my age. I didn’t find it too simple and it seemed more realistic.
- Did you like/dislike the book? Why? I liked the book because it caught my attention. Especially I like when it’s a mysterious situation. Then it gets me interested to read more about it.
- Who would you recommend this book to, even if you disliked it? Give an example: I would recommend this book to my friends. I’m pretty sure they would read a mysterious book like this one.
- Was the book part of a series? Is it a book that you have to read the previous/following book to understand the plot? Or is the story self-contained? The book is not part of series, there’s no previous/following book to read, it’s a story self-contained.
- Does the cover art match the style of the book inside? When the keys is at the front door, I think it supposed to be telling us that there’s a home invader that is breaking into a house.Except, in the story the home invader gets into people’s houses by open windows, garage,etc. In my opinion the cover doesn’t really match the story , but it matches the title.