Student Reviewer: Julian C. – Grade 8
by Melanie Jackson
Orca Publishers, 2009
Series: Orca Currents
Genre: Mystery fiction
Summary: A young boy named Joe ”Protagonist” finishes one of his exams. Joe decides to ride a roller coaster named The Big Dip. A shooter somewhere in the park shoots an old man. The old man tells Joe to get a Margaret Rose–they’re worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. When Joe gets home his sister is gone. He is determined to get her back no matter what.
- Did this book hold your attention? Yes
- Was the story what you expected? Were you disappointed? Surprised? Yes it was, but there was a lot of interesting parts to this book.
- Do you think that the book was suitable for your age? Too violent, swearing, sex, etc. I think that this book was suitable for my age because it wasn’t too violent,there was no swearing, and no sex. I find that it was perfect for my age group.
- Did you like/dislike the book? Why? I liked this book. It was very interesting but there were some parts that got pretty boring.
- Who would you recommend this book to, even if you disliked it? Give an example: I would recommend this book to teenagers my age because its catches the readers’ attention on some parts.
- Was the book part of a series? Is it a book that you have to read the previous/following book to understand the plot? Or is the story self-contained? The Big Dip is a self-contained story as it is still in the Orca Currents series.
- Does the cover art match the style of the book inside? I find that it does not match the books style as the story was about a boys’ sister who got stolen.