Student Reviewer: Michael A. – Grade 8
by Stephanie Watson
Lerner Publishing Group, 2010
Series: Night Fall
Genre: Paranormal romance
Summary: The book ‘Messages from Beyond’, written by Stephanie Watson, is about a young girl named Cassie. Cassie starts to get text messages from someone named Ethan. At first, Cassie thinks that she is getting ‘punked’ on by someone from her school until she finds out that the only Ethan they came to her school was someone who died 25 years ago in a car accident.
Cassie then starts her journey to find out what’s going on and to solve the case of the mysterious text messages.
- Did this book hold your attention? Yes
- Was the story what you expected? Were you disappointed? Surprised? Yes, even though the story was interesting, I still knew where it was going. I have seen a lot of shows about the same story with different characters.
- Do you think that the book was suitable for your age? Too violent, swearing, sex, etc. No, I think that this book is very good for all ages. There are some words that the author uses that are not usually said, but they are not bad words.
- Did you like/dislike the book? Why? I liked the book because I was always looking forward to find out what happens next.
- Who would you recommend this book to, even if you disliked it? Give an example: I would really recommend this book to everyone! It is a very interesting book with a good story suitable for everyone.
- Was the book part of a series? Is it a book that you have to read the previous/following book to understand the plot? Or is the story self-contained? This book is self-contained. There are other books that use the same location but with different stories and different characters.
- Does the cover art match the style of the book inside? Personally, I do not find that the cover art is relevant with story. The cover shows a picture of a blurry picture of a man. The story is about a girl getting text messages from a boy who died 25 years ago.