Student Reviewer: Aaron N. – Grade 7
by R J Palacio
Alfred A. Knopf, 2012
Genre: Realistic fiction
Summary: August has a birth defect when he was in his mom’s stomach. The Doctors notice something but they said it is nothing but it was. August’s face is half caved in. He needed a lot of surgeries on his face. He has a sister named Via, she is in high school.
- Did this book hold your attention? Yes
- Was the story what you expected it to be? Were you disappointed? Surprised? Yes I was surprised I was not thinking that he was going to go to a school called Beecher Prep. But overall it is a good book.
- Do you think that the book was suitable for your age? Too violent, swearing, sex, etc. I say it’s good for ages 13 and up. Because it’s not meant for kids 13 and under, they may not understand some stuff.
- Did you like/dislike the book? Why? I really like this book it has it good parts and sad parts and it’s funny too.
- Who would you recommend this book to, even if you disliked it? Give an example: My two sisters, my mom, my teacher and my uncle Marty.
- Was the book part of a series? Is it a book that you have to read the previous/following book to understand the plot? Or is the story self-contained? No it’s not part of a series.
- Does the cover art match the style of the book inside? No it does not. It should have a real picture of him.